Car Detail Page FINANCE
Jaguar E Type S1 3.8 1964 (B) Silver
On its release in 1961, Enzo Ferrari called the 'E' Type "The most beautiful car ever made" and he was right!
The Series 1 was introduced in March 1961 the cars used the 3.8 Litre 6 Cylinder Engine from the XK150S along with triple SU carburettors and featured independent coil spring rear suspension with torsion bar front ends, four wheel disc brakes, in-board at the rear and all were servo-assisted.
Jaguar was one of the first vehicle manufacturers to equip cars with Disc Brakes as standard from the XK150 in 1958.
According to the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Heritage Certificate, this beautiful example - Chassis No: 861687 and Engine No: RA 6936-9 was built on 26th May 1964 and is No: 1687 of 1,799 RHD S1 3.8 Coupe's produced. It was supplied new by Hortons Garage in Redditch, Worcestershire to its first owner a Mr H P Terry on 1st June 1964 and given the registration number BWP 803B which it still retains today.
Since then it has had 5 subsequent owners and only covered a believed genuine 81,564 miles from new and is HPi clear on all registers with no discrepancy showing on the National Mileage register, but this is not conclusive as we do not have a full history from new. It is a 'matching' Chassis/Body and Engine number car, although the cylinder head has been changed for another 3.8 head at some point during its life.
The history file is a little scant, but there are invoices in the file dating back to 1993 and MOT certificates from 1991 onwards plus copies of old registration documents showing all of the previous owners. The most recent and important invoices are from Jaguar specialist Derek Watson of WatJag Ltd in Great Longstone, Derbyshire who between Dec 2005 & Feb 2006 @ 81,189 miles rebuilt the original Engine, replaced the Clutch, renewed the Suspension bushes, replaced all 4 Disc Brakes and Hydraulics and lots of other ancillaries all totalling £8,700.
The car was hardly used by the owner before being sold and it was subsequently given to Essex County Classics in Romford, Essex in mid 2012 for them to complete the restoration of the car.
This work included a complete stripping to bare metal, removal of all glass, trim, lights and exterior chrome-work, bonnet, doors and tailgate and it was then repainted to an exceptionally high standard in Rhodium Silver. It was then reassembled and has some of the best fitting panels that we have seen on an E Type for sometime. Sections of the interior trim was replaced along with new carpets, new glass, re-chromed bumpers, numerous other chrome fittings and new new tyres were fitted to the existing but fairly new chrome wire wheels .
This cost of this work came to nearly £25,000 and we are waiting for a copy of the final invoice to be provided by them for the history file!
The mileage recorded on the speedometer now is 81,564, so the car has only covered 375 miles since the Engine rebuild and it does drive beautifully. the bodyshell has one of the best bonnet & door 'gaps' that really does need to be seen and driven to be fully appreciated.
Upon sale it will be given a full PDI, new MOT and checkover and will come with our own 6 month mechanical breakdown warranty.
Car on display @ our showrooms in Mortlake.
- Type -
- Year -
- Basic colour -
- Colour name -
- Transmission -
- Orientation -
Right Hand Drive
- Trim -
- Wheels -
- Type -